We are pleased to tell you that we are able to provide the Faculty with e-learning teams’ iPads to support your hybrid teaching in the second semester. This easily portable teaching resource will provide hardware and software to:
- support e-learning content creation (recording and editing), e.g. video recording, screen capture, digital whiteboard;
- enhance online video meeting capability and performance. It is good practice to use an additional device to join your own Zoom meeting as participants in order to observe how students experience the lesson.
- provide mobile access to synchronised teaching materials on the HKU cloud-based storage;
User Cases in the First Semester
Some user cases of the e-learning teams’ iPads
- Support interactive hybrid teaching: The e-learning teams’ iPad can help create a flexible and mobile-friendly teaching experience. Ms Tanya Kempston created an English drama learning experience in a hybrid classroom, which involved lots of movement, dialogue and interaction with f2f students and online students simultaneously. With the help of an e-learning student helper, Tanya was able to deliver a powerful learning experience for online and f2f students working with drama.
- Support virtual school visit: Dr Florence Wu organised a virtual school visit. Due to the COVID-19 situation, a virtual school visit was a preferred alternative compared to taking 20-30 student teachers to the school. A virtual school visit only required minimal equipment (iPad, tripod, wireless mic) to enable activities such as classroom observations, realtime interviews, and site visits.
- Support handwriting: It is very difficult to use a mouse to do writing on the computer, but the e-learning teams’ iPad has an Apple Pencil function which allows you to write on PPT and Zoom whiteboards interactively. Please refer to this How to Use iPad/iPhone as a Whiteboard in Zoom for more detail.
What is available
We have already installed the following apps (2021-1-4):
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Google Calendar
- Google Chrome
- Google Classroom
- Google Docs
- Google Drive
- Google Map
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- Google Translate
- Kahoot! Play & Create Quizzes
- Mentimeter (HKU campus license)
- Microsoft (HKU campus license)
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Word
- Padlet (Faculty of Education internal license. Please contact us for more detail)
- Panopto (HKU campus license)
- Quizizz: Play to Learn
- ZOOM Cloud Meetings (HKU campus license)
If you want to install any additional apps. You can take the following steps:
- Setup the iPad with your personal Apple ID and download in Apps Store, or,
- You can contact the e-learning team. We can install the Apps remotely to all iPads by using Mobile Device Management (MDM) system. Please provide justification if you want to install/subscribe non-free Apps.
How to borrow one of the iPads
Please reply to this email by providing us with the following information:
- Your Name:
- Date: (The date you want to collect the iPad from MW543)
- Time: (The time you want to collect the iPad from MW543)
- Your email/contact:
- Do you need support to set up your iPad?